Sunday, February 8, 2009

THUNDER CAKE & WIRE FORGED HEART PINS!

As many of you who follow my blog already know, I am a home schooling mom. My 5-year old, Jordan chose the book THUNDER CAKE by Patricia Polacco to read for our reading circle. The book was really cute and involved a little girl's fear of thunder storms and a wise grandmother's idea of curing her grand daughter of this fear. The Thunder Cake must reach the oven before the storm arrives. The list of ingredients is long...and the storm is coming closer all the time! The fearful child has to over come other fears while gathering the ingredients. Collecting eggs from Nellie peck hen and milk from old kick cow are just steps in over coming her fears. The book was a lot of fun and really captivated my children's attention. The enjoyed the book so much that we decided to use the provided recipe in the back and give it a try for ourselves. You might be surprised by some of the ingredients but the outcome was more than a pleasing and delicious cake! The children and me enjoyed a beautiful story, ate delicious cake, and created a new memory I hope they will cherish for all time! Here is the recipe for Thunder Cake if you should so desire to make one for your self!

THUNDER CAKE

Cream together, one at a time:
1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, separated (Blend yolks in. Beat whites until they are stiff, then fold in.)
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup pureed tomatoes



Sift together
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dry cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Mix dry mixture into creamy mixture.
Bake in two greased and floured 8 1/2-inch round pans at 350Degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Frost with chocolate butter frosting when cool. Top with strawberries.

While enjoying a second piece of Thunder Cake and while the girls were napping, I decided to flip through my latest Art Jewelry Magazine March 2009 issue. There is a beautiful wire forged heart brooch pin on the cover and the instructions on how to make it on the inside.




My dear Aunt Carol from Omaha, Nebraska has recently found out that she has breast cancer and has been going through a gauntlet of chemo therapy and medications. I've been wanting to send her something special that was different than flowers and something unique. This was perfect! I had all the supplies anyway, so I gathered them up, set it all out, and got to work. The end product is superb! I can't wait to send this little piece of love her way!

11 comments:

Melanie said...

I've seen that book - it's so fun.

Aren't those pins gorgeous!!!! Wow! You are expanding and your jewelry just gets more and more impressive! Love them! (I treasure my earrings) :-)
~Melanie

Anji Gallanos said...

What a great book recommend. I would love to read it to my boys. Sorry to hear about your Aunt. The heart is beautiful.

Drew of Fairy Tale Fibers said...

Yum! I'll be checking that book out! Your hearts are beautiful!
My heart is with you and your family.
Love and light,
Drew

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm in Omaha too. I'll send her some positive energy since I'm close.

Jamie said...

pins are gorgeous, tomatoes? I'm intrigued, will have to try!

Patti Moore said...

How thoughtful of you, Jodie, to create an artful heart pin for your Aunt Carol! I know she'll be encouraged during her illness by your kindness & love for her! :)

Starla said...

hmmmm.....pureed tomatoes in a cake.....interesting....
that pin turned out SO beautiful!

By The Sea Jewelry said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that ring Jody!
Great original design!

Boutique By Bonnie said...

That heart is truly wonderful! I have a scary feeling that metal work will be the next thing I get into.

Stacie Brown said...

The pin is beautiful and your Aunt will love it. Truly a gift from the heart (no pun intended)!

Caly's Jewelry Creations said...

You've been tagged...! I have nominated you for a Lemonade award. You are an inspiration to me. See my blog for details. http://calysdayatthebeach.blogspot.com